Just as there are certain foods you wouldn’t put in your body, there are certain ingredients you should never put on your face! Here are 6 ingredients that I would never put on my client’s face, let alone my own.
1. Parabens: This may surprise you, but parabens are the most widely used preservative out there for skin care and personal care products. While they are known to stop fungus and bacteria growth dead in their tracks, there’s a scary side to this popular ingredient. Anything you put on your body is absorbed by your skin. Parabens have been shown to mimic estrogen in the body, disrupting the hormone system.
2. Talc: This little powder is made up of elements of magnesium, silicon, and oxygen. It quickly absorbs moisture, useful for keeping skin dry. You’ll see this ingredient in many facial powders, but in its natural form, some talc may contain asbestos. As many of you know, asbestos causes cancers in and around the lungs. Yikes!
3. Bismuth oxychloride: This ingredient is an inorganic white pigment and is extremely popular in both traditional and mineral makeup. But, it can act as a skin irritant, especially in those products that use a higher concentration of the ingredient.
4. Carmine: You might not be aware of this little ingredient, but it’s a red substance used to color many cosmetics. Where does it come from? This lovely reddish tinted ingredient comes from the crushed bodies of insects! Is your skin crawling yet? If carmine is an ingredient in your makeup it could be crawling for reasons other than having the heebie jeebies! Carmine is a common skin irritant.
5. Hydroquinone: Ever wonder what ingredient helps to lighten dark spots, freckles, and acne scars? This little ingredient is known as hydroquinone. This ingredient has a dark side, almost as dark as the spots it’s supposed to be lightening! It’s a skin irritant when regularly used, especially for those who already have allergies or sensitive skin. There have also been several medical studies stating the hydroquinone is a possible carcinogen.
6. Benzoyl peroxide: This is a common ingredient found in acne fighting skin care lines. Benzoyl peroxide acts as an antibacterial agent, helping to clear up problematic skin types. The downside? It dries out most skin types, increases redness and irritation and also removes the top layer of skin, leaving it susceptible to sun damage, free radical exposure, and a plethora of other environmental irritants.
It’s essential when buying products to become a “label snob!” There are so many products, and ingredients that can have a negative impact on your skin. Your skin and you will be together for the long-haul, so get in the habit of treating it well, and stay away from products that cause more harm than they help!
To your beautiful skin and you!